Sunday, September 27, 2009

Free WIFI not the Key to Increasing Sun Metro Ridership

Did something rather unorthodox this morning, Sunday morning. Actually visited the El Paso Times' website.

I do that once in awhile when I'm bored.

Was reading Gustavo Reveles' article on Sun Metro enticing "choice" riders (as they are called by the FTA) with free WIFI at the new transfer centers.

"Choice" riders are what the FTA terms people that have cars but choose public transportation. When I first heard about this term I was a little put off. I thought it meant that people who may not choose public transportation but must use it because they do not have cars were less than "choice"- more like chopped liver. Now I understand it better, but still wish there were another term being used.

Anyway, I don't think free WIFI will be the determining factor in a choice rider's decision.

User-friendliness will always be the first determining factor.

User-friendliness includes many concepts. Most importantly, speed and ease of use.

No- not the speed of the bus! More like how fast can a rider get from Point A to Point B and with as few transfers as possible. Does the bus run only once an hour or 3x an hour? Is there a reverse route on this same route? (why don't we have reverse routes here?) How late do the buses run or how early do they start? Are there machines or people in a booth at the transfer centers (and grocery stores, 7-11's, libraries) where one can buy a daily/weekly/monthly pass? Eliminating having to count coins and drop them into the fare box on the bus will save us all time- we should be using ticket machines right now.

User-friendliness also includes showing routes on bus stop signs, finally being able to use Google Transit in our area, and having FULL audio and streaming announcements at transfer centers. It also includes clean, accessible, and safe bus stops and shelters. No more overflowing trash bins, no more carts blocking pathways (hello Walmart) and lights- lots of lights! And we can go even further and be environmentally-friendly and use energy-saving bulbs or solar.

Another way to entice more riders would be the advertising on the bus. I don't really have a problem with what is being advertised but how it is displayed. The ads are falling down, torn and just generally displayed in a non-pleasing manner. I don't think anyone looks at the bus daily and makes sure the ads look nice and without having that strip that holds them run across the middle of the ad etc. The devil's in the details! I simply like to call it follow-through. This small but important detail can be part of the daily checklist before a bus pulls out for the first shift and checked in between shift changes. I think all us riders, choice or not, would like a more aesthetically-pleasing environment and experience on the bus.

More bus shelters are needed also, all part of user-friendliness. Yes, Sun Metro is in the process of erecting 200 new shelters at the moment, but until we are at about 1:4 or even 1:3 shelters per bus stops I won't be happy waiting at a stop in this desert heat. Only need about 700 more shelters to get there! Sun Metro is also working on more landing pads or boarding pads, whatever they're called- those thingees made of concrete that we step onto or from that is connected to a sidewalk and cut curb for true accessibility- instead of being left in a bunch of volcanic rock or desert scrub.

I think all these would be first on my wish list BEFORE WIFI.

But let's take this even further- if we had an "el" (elevated train) and commuter rail we would REALLY be in the 20th century, even though we're actually in the 21st already!

But let's not forget.... it is the "non-choice" riders that have been the loyal customers of mass transit, without them there wouldn't be mass transit.

Amen.

7 comments:

  1. Wow, It's the infamous Suzanne Fabian at it again. Is there anything you think Sun Metro has done that is positive? In the last 2 and a half years staff has worked tirelessly to make Sun Metro a world class system. WIFI is just "one" more ammenity for the passengers that need it. Google Transit is on it's way, more buses are on the way, Articulated Buses are in the horizen, BRT is in the works, better terminals are being built, the system is financially in the black which is more than I could say about 80% of the public transit sytems in the whole country, yet you focus on the negatives. Why is that the people that have contributed less to society are the ones that feel they have the most say. This simply amazes me. The people that milk our goverment for every possible public assistance program out there are the ones that are the loudest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So in your view I should just be saying how great Sun Metro is, huh? Even when there is always room for improvement?
    My basic point was that I would take care of other things that are in the works or a few years away before WIFI, other projects would impact more riders now. I myself have never worked for a company where they didn't push their employees to be the best and to have the best service- I guess where you work everyone kisses *** and is afraid to say anything that might improve service for fear of being called negative.
    I have not contributed less, as you say, to society because I have a hands-on approach to things and don't put much stock in bs. I have never been on any kind of assistance ever in my life, I have worked for 33 years so far. And at least I have the guts to sign my name, unlike you. I am not ashamed or afraid but you must be. If you don't like what you read on MY blog then don't bother.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are absolutely right; WIFI or any other improvement made to Sun Metro will not attract any potential rider that has a better option. To make mass transit the best option, City Council must stop the sprawl that all but guarantees there will be one car per adult on the road.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In my view Mrs. Fabian, I think everything could use improvement. The problem is that I have yet to see 1 positive blog about Sun Metro. I have yet to see you talk about the many positives that exist with our system. You sound like an intelligent woman, so I believe you see them all around you. Where I work, people are respectful, hardworking, and put in a good day's work every single day. Those folks at Sun Metro bust their butts every single day to bring a world class system to El Paso. Are we there yet, no, but you cannot deny that Sun Metro is a much much better system than it was 2 and a half years ago. I hope you see my point.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous- I appreciate you coming back to me with intelligence, tho a differing view- now we can have open discussion because you are not making blanket statements about me. You did call me MRS. tho, which I do find funny that you have married me off- lol. Sun Metro/First Transit has made many improvements and strides, mainly with procurement of new buses- which I have applauded them on this blog about as that was the first and most-needed step in the right direction, but SM is still a long way off from the final product and what the taxpayers of EP have been paying for for years yet not receiving. I never mentioned that they do not work hard at SM, just suggested that there are easier ways to do things and that it's not the bells and whistles that grab ridership, but the everyday basic principles of holding higher standards to strive for- ie- shelters, communication, user-friendliness, customer service.

    Matthew- you are right that EP will be walking a tight rope with our sprawl. SM is making great strides in the right direction, but if we do not concentrate that sprawl in a smart way then the far reaches will be out of certain city services until the population makes it more feasible, and management of such city services.

    We have experienced even heavily populated areas outside large cities finding themselves struggling when it comes to transportation issues being in the black and that is due to many reasons yet for another post- but a wise lesson to look at before we find ourselves in the same quandary.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow....wow!

    The truth is that many agencies have indeed attracted new riders thanks to WiFi, which can be provided at quite literally a negligible cost compared to everything else you mention.

    Do you really think that your local transit operators don’t understand that making transit faster, easier and more convenient will gain riders? Are you honestly that naïve or is it arrogance?

    You are the epitome of a know-it-all, who in reality knows very little. Exactly what experience do you have in transit funding, operations or planning that makes you such an expert? How much time have you spent actually learning about why things work they way they do with your… or any other transit system? Do you actually think it’s up to your transit system to be included in Google Transit? Maybe, just maybe that’s up to the staff at Google, or didn’t you think of that? Do you have any idea how much more an elevated rail line costs per mile than one at grade… or versus a rapid bus system?

    Based on your post, I’d have to say that you’re half right: There’s plenty of foolishness, but very little gold.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Unfortunately I do understand the processes involved.
    Let me break this down simply- let's say Burger "Prince" offers free WIFI and the Mom and Pop store across the street offers free WIFI. I would pick the one that gives me better food and customer service (a better product) over the other.
    Yes, if one place offers free WIFI and one doesn't there will be some who choose the place with- but in the same instance why try and gain say one more customer instead of 10?
    I still say user-friendliness is more of a building block than free WIFI, not that there is not a place for free WIFI.

    ReplyDelete