Friday, September 4, 2009

"ACCESSIBLE APARTMENTS NOW! "

Participated in the action yesterday attended mostly by ADAPT/Pact people and other interested parties over at Festival and Mesa streets. ADAPT people never cease to amaze me with their strength and gumption!

This was to voice our concerns over the city possibly changing code to appease developers wanting to only build 2 handicap accessible apartments per 100 instead of the current code of 5.

I want to give a shout out to everyone that organized, participated and helped out in so many ways! Thanks for your strong direction and other support!

And a big thank you to the downtown businesses that donated cases of water for us! And thank you to the young gentleman that actually came and passed it out- I'm terrible with names so please forgive me!

I didn't get to take any pics as I was holding up a banner most of the time. And it almost looked as if it were going to rain, but we would have stayed anyway.

I received information from a Ft. Bliss public information office that there are about 80,000 disabled vets in El Paso County! (I hope I heard right on that number- I was pretty amazed at it!). And according to stats for the city there are about 60,000 disabled/elderly disabled in our area. I don't know if the two figures overlap. But these are astounding numbers!

Even if you take just the lower number of 60,000 disabled- that's just under 1/10th of our population! And builders just want to build 2 units per 100??? What's wrong with this picture? Do you know how many people are living in in-accessible housing because they can't find a vacancy in accessible apartments (let alone a shortage of houses handicap accessible)? Tea Partiers are shouting about their liberties and choices, but what do our disabled have? Very little- and the developers want to give them even less.

No comments:

Post a Comment