Saturday, August 29, 2009

Representative Robinson's Breakfast Meeting

Ok, attended the weekly breakfast meeting Robinson held at Denny's yesterday.

Besides a couple of county and city employees, I believe I was one of the youngest people in attendance. I just don't understand the apathy of "younger" people not being interested in their city/county/state/country and their elected officials.

They're busy living their lives, but this is part of life!

When I was in school full-time and working full-time I still had time to go to different rallies and meetings, not all, though. Even managed to squeeze in a couple of anti-war protests.

And this September 11th, again, I will place a poster in my window or yard remembering and honoring my childhood friend, Robert Talhami, who was killed in the Twin Towers attack.

Anyway- back to the meeting. We didn't get into much discussion about health care reform, it was more about BRAC and housing and energy needs, very interesting, though.

I liked what Shapleigh was saying about pushing for solar energy for new housing and how now is an opportune time to become a leader in that industry.

He also spoke of preserving Castner Range and all the NE has to offer.

Arne Schonberger, an attorney and member of the City's Accessibility Advisory Committee, spoke about the city council's upcoming agenda item regarding reducing the number of handicap accessible units from 5 per 100 down to 2. He asked a really valid question- he asked people there when was the last time one of you took a bath? There were a few snickers about hygiene but most people agreed that baths were in their past (remember- this was an older crowd) and the general concensus was that most people showered and that it is safer not to have a bathtub to step/fall over. A step-in or roll-in shower is safer.

He also got into speaking about Bohannon and brought up a lawsuit between Bohannon and some employee but Robinson cut him off stating Bohannon wasn't here to defend himself so he didn't want to get into speculation.

Being an attorney I wish Arne had brought a copy of that lawsuit if it concluded- then maybe he would have had more bite as to facts and the argument would have been a moot point as the conclusion would be he had his day in court and his chance to defend himself. I'm really curious to hear what that case was all about.

You see, Bohannon is involved with the agenda item builders are trying to push through about changing city code to build 2 units per 100 instead of 5 handicap accessible units.

Back to Robinson. He spoke about trying to bring businesses to the NE and spoke about buildings having retail on the bottom floor and residences above, all very positive ideas. It's nice to hear ideas and plans for growth. NEsiders can complain all day or do something about improving our neighborhood.

Norma Favela also spoke at the end regarding running for District Clerk. Too bad she didn't come earlier, the audience was pretty restless by the time she spoke. She is currently the chief deputy tax assessor- collector.

I wanted to speak with all these people at the end of the meeting but I had been up all night and was starting to hit "the wall" and just wanted to go home and rest. I shook hands with Representative Robinson and told him "have a good night"- so it was time for me to shut up and leave before I said anything else stupid.

(No- I wasn't up all night partying- couldn't do that even if I had the inclination, I just can't hang like I used to, nor do I want to).

All in all it was a positive meeting, even though some of it was canned, and I walked away with more hope for the NE.

No comments:

Post a Comment