Tuesday, August 25, 2009

... let God sort 'em out

City Council is again hearing from both sides on the domestic partnership/city employees benefits package.

Mayor Cook has quoted again the council's adopted policy of "no personal attacks" and has warned of the consequences. It is very subjective what he will decide is a personal attack. But he has that right as mayor and running the council meeting. He certainly didn't like when he and council were called evil and hypocrites at one meeting. And he's showing he means business by the stern warning today. But since it is subjective- where does free speech fit in? There are degrees of what is acceptable behavior and speech. I'm not for disrupting public meetings with words that are obviously or outrageously incindiery, hurtful, discriminatory etc- but we do all hold the right to our opinions and free speech. We are also responsible for what we say.

Anyway, what gets my goat are the men and women from churches and the private sector that are preaching their interpretation of morality on this issue. Yes, I believe in the Bible. Yes, I believe in laws, God's and man's. But preachers, priests and rabbis are all sinners and they preach to sinners. And Jesus walked and associated with the worst of the worst. And loved them, anyway.

What cracks me up is that we live in a region that has high immorality. We have a huge population of under-age and unmarried people that are having pre-marital sex and having babies. Where is our morality now? Do the parents of these sinners cast their children aside because of their actions? If so, that would be very unloving and not in the best interest of the child or the baby. But how do they deal with these moral convictions? Or is it a matter of convenience?

I have thought long and hard on this and many issues. So I say what may sound like a cop out to some but which is something I do truly believe in with conviction. I'm human. And I don't understand alot of issues. Some I just have to rely on faith as being the right thing. And these I turn over to God to deal with. I don't have to be the moral compass for God just because I believe in Him. He's been doing just fine. So all I can do is do what I think is fair and let the burden of judging rest on God's shoulders.

So I believe in letting domestic partners share in the privilege of these benefits they are paying a portion of. And I say that without judgement and will let God do His work.

No comments:

Post a Comment