Sunday, July 12, 2009

Stuff That'll Fry Yer Brains

First off- damn this heat!

Everything takes longer when you throw in the heat factor. Thought I almost had heat stroke the other day, definitely had heat exhaustion. There is a difference- I've had both. Took me about two days to recover from the latter this time around.

Besides going through that and trying to keep up with the usual day-to-day activities my pc decided to go haywire. Well, actually it was just a loose connection. Thanks to my cats. Can't blame the dog- he's outside.

Did you ever wonder what your cats do when you're not around (and sometimes when you ARE around)? They're frkn sending emails and buying stuff off of ebay. Ok- a little dramatic with the ebay part, but I have had my cats send half-written emails that I left unattended and not saved to draft. It can be a little embarrassing and you can never be quite sure that the recipient believes you when you say your cats sent the email- oh well.

So ya turn your back for a minute and what happens? Darren Hunt files a lawsuit against the city for all the humiliation and pain and suffering he went through with that cop.

That in and of itself seems perfectly justifiable. What I take offense to is the amount he is seeking in damages. It is a ridiculous amount and benefits only himself.

Well, you say, isn't that what a lawsuit is about- to right wrongs and compensate for losses and to sometimes make dramatic examples to the defendant?

Yes.

And no.

Sorry- it's the Libra in me and I have to look at all the sides of an issue.

Darren Hunt is a public figure, much like the mayor is.

He is a well-paid public figure, though.

And he is sueing the city. Of which our taxes pay for these services, and lawsuits.

Before David K comes screaming out of a closet claiming I'm another one of those liberal Democrats that doesn't want to pay my share of taxes blah blah blah... let me finish.

There are questions that need to be asked and looked at here.

Darren Hunt has every right to sue for his true damages. True being the operative word here. True = fair.

Is Darren seeking such an exhorbitant amount in "pain and suffering" because he suffered extremely?

Yes, his civil rights may have been violated. But to the tune of $300,00 plus the $150,000?

Was he beat up by the cop? No. Did he suffer broken bones? No. Did he lose his fiancee because she was so embarrassed by his overly-dramatic mugging for the camera even as he was being violated by the over-zealous cop? No.

So I'm being led to the conclusion that Darren is sueing for so much to make an example of the PD because he can.

Is he doing it to pave the way for all reporters to enjoy covering stories in a more congenial manner with the police that are possibly investigating such news story?

I don't think so. Just the mere fact of a lawsuit and the media coverage of this whole event will take care of that- somewhat.

Or is he trying to act like an every-day Joe and stick it to the man? I don't think so, either.

One- he's not us- he's not your every-day Joe. Even if he secretly likes to think that about himself. He's afforded certain luxuries and perks that your every-day Joe just doesn't get privy to. Some are small and inconsequential, some are bigger. Like being able to speak with our city and county officials on certain subjects and getting a response (canned or not, it's at least a response). Some of our city reps like to THINK they have an open door policy but from my experience it really isn't at times.

Anyway- two- Darren isn't just trying to shine a spotlight on a ridiculous situation that got way out of hand- he's being greedy and his ego is running amok.

If he were taking the noble high road he could file his suit for say $10,000- it would prove his point and still afford him a little pocket change.

You see, he's not showing the every-day Joe that everybody can sue and win. He's of the privileged in this community that can afford a lawyer to sue or has found a lawyer willing to take on his case because of who he is and the circumstances. Hardly what the every-day Joe is able to do.

I've seen wayyy too many cases of people that were truly injured physically and mentally and lost their case or were awarded much less.

Example- my ex-husband was hit by a drunk driver and lost his leg. Someone ran out of gas or was having car problems on the highway and my ex pulled over to see if he could help. A cop pulled over, too, but was a little too late. A drunk teacher ran into my ex's car and pinned him between his car and the person's car he was helping push off the road. It came down to degree of responsibility- yes the guy was in the wrong that was drunk, but my ex also shouldn't have been on the road behind that car. My ex lost his football scholarship and a career in the army and never fully adjusted to losing his leg and spent the next 10 years or more deep in the throes of alcoholism. He was awarded $150,000 after medical expenses paid out over 10 years. Sounds like alot, huh? Not when you throw in the careers he lost, the future money he could have made in those careers, let alone the real pain and suffering he has to endure for a lifetime. This is just one example, there are many like this- so when I see the exhorbitant amount Darren is shooting for for his embarrassment and inconvenience it makes my stomach turn.

I'm not making lite of Darren's suit- just the amount he's seeking in damages. As a matter of fact, I side for Darren. The cop has obvious Napolean syndrome symptoms going on, let alone a real power trip problem and he SHOULD be made an example of. But Darren also has some responsibility in this, too, just like my ex. He shouldn't have been where he was and shouldn't have expected to be treated differently because he is in the media.

To what degree he shouldn't have been on the side of the road will be argued in court.

3 comments:

  1. If all that ails us in El Paso don't fry yer brains, nuttin' will! I've been driving around in 100+ degree heat with no a/c in my dark blue car with only 3 functioning windows. Ay Carumba! I need that 4th window!

    I think Darren Hunt needs to take a chill pill. Maybe he should kiss a man and get the double whammy lawsuit going. Yeah, I'd pay money for that.

    I agree, he was wronged, but now it's gonna cost the taxpayer when he wins this suit, and you know he's gonna win.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Say, my friend Mike Apodaca got hit by a meter maid on a segway yesturday, how much do u think he sould sue 4?

    ReplyDelete
  3. did she kiss him?

    ReplyDelete