Thursday, July 23, 2009

Is It Just Me?

So Tuesday evening we had practice night over at Allen's Lounge for our pool team, league play is anticipated to start in about 2 weeks.

My friend and I are standing outside taking a break, talking and watching the lightning, when all of a sudden we see a tall skinny kid come running around the corner from the 7-11 with 2 cases of beer in his hands. Another beer run!

We 're watching this guy run and like I said, he was pretty skinny, so I guess the beer was pretty heavy for him and he was struggling a bit with it. We were laughing at him cuz his pants were slowly slipping down and I was wondering if he was going to trip or fall or what. It was the "or what" I was most scared of!

He heard us laughing and turned around to look at us, wasting valuable time in his escape. He decided to keep running but I guess the beer in both hands was a bit much for him, so he placed one of the cases behind the dumpster, most likely to retrieve later.

When we saw he was running pretty fast to jump the fence to the trailer parks we decided we were safe. He was far enough away. Hey, we're in our 40s - we do things differently now!

My friend had her poolstick in her hand and I said let's go get that case and bring it back to 7-11. My friend was hesitant but I was like hey you have a poolstick in your hand, just be my look-out and watch our backs in case the guy just threw the other case over the fence and comes back right away.

So we go around the dumpster and grab the case and bring it to 7-11. We did our good deed for the day (night).

If I was a bit younger I woulda chased the kid and tripped him and got all the beer back, just the kinda gal I was, now I'm slower and (sometimes) think things through and look for other strategies to get the same result, or close to.

This is MY neighborhood and I don't appreciate little punks and pranksters stealing. When they grow up and pay taxes and are a contributing member of society then they can call it their neighborhood, not until. They want money for stuff (not beer)- go and cut someone's grass or get a job- be productive!

Somewhere in my 30s, I'm not quite sure when it happened , it just snuck up on me- things like this changed for me. It was no longer a "whatever" reaction to a situation like this or a "well we all go thru our kid stuff" phase kinda sorta thing, I became more responsible, and more pro-active.

I grew up, sorta.

____________________

What's up with the price of cat food lately?

A while ago when we had the scare of contaminated cat and dog food Walmart dropped alot of brands they used to carry. Yes, that was the responsible thing to do at the time, but they never brought them back. So the choices are slimmer at Walmart now.

And the prices are going up up UP!

A large bag of Meow Mix used to be 21 lbs and cost under $10. A four-pak of name-brand cat food was less than $1.

Since then, the Meow Mix went down to 18lbs for the same price, then the price went up. Now it's around $12 for the smaller 'large' bag- ughhh! And it's 16lbs now- what a rip!

The wet cat food went to like $1.06, now it's at $1.42 or so- what the heck?!

I understand prices go up for many reasons, but at least give us more choices.

____________________

I went to Lowe's last week to see what they had as far as odor-eliminating paint goes- am re-decorating the house and a cheap and easy way to make a big change is to paint.

I ask the guy in the paint department what they have as far as that goes and he had no idea what I was talking about. I tried explaining that Home Depot is doing a media blitz about paint being on sale and there are brands out there that have odor eliminator in them, or can be added to the paint. What does Lowe's have?

Still no clue.

He asked me what room I was painting and I said livingroom and he asked do I want semi-gloss paint?

Huh?

Is it just me or what?

1 comment:

  1. before I hear any "sheet"- yes, I understand semi-gloss paint is more durable and scrubbable and basically "plasti-coats" a surface- I get that. so it's easier to clean and maybe smells won't stick around as much. Got it. But that's not what I asked for. I asked for ODOR-ELIMINATING paint, like the Arm & Hammer brand makes. At first the kid thought I meant low-VOC paint.
    Guess they all can't be as "up" on things as Steve (Stephen) is in the appliance department at Lowe's. Now THAT guy is a plethora of information!

    ReplyDelete