Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Neither Snow Nor Rain Nor Heat Nor Gloom of Night...

You guys are gonna looove this one!

Put down your coffee so you won't spit it out!

On my post yesterday 'Speedy Delivery' I talked about my certified letter waiting for me at the post office (Northgate Station) from the city clerk's office.

As Murphy's Law would have it, I was rushing around and got sidetracked by some unanticipated visitors etc, so needless to say I was running late.

I take "mass transit" (da bus), so I have to plan out my strategy for the day as far as times and connections. I also had to add in the heat factor.

So 12noon came by pretty fast and I had to go to my bus stop and catch 46 to NorthPark, so that I could catch 42 downtown, then caught a circulator to the Union Depot for the 2pm CAC meeting. There would be no wiggle room for hopping over to the post office after getting off 46. No biggie- I had a plan!

Attended the CAC meeting for 2 hours, and as I usually do, went over to City Hall afterwards. These visits are spent checking in with certain reps and extending a hello to others I have talked to or worked with on projects and concerns of our city, usually on transportation or accessibility issues.

Ok, I'll admit it, these visits are really just to raid the candy coffers of certain reps that are known to have some pretty good pickins'! (Wanted to stop by Robinson's office but it was almost 5pm and had 3 other rounds to make- hopefully soon I'll get a chance to meet him as he is my district rep).

Anyway, my first stop was at, you guessed it, the City clerk's office.

May I add that Sylvia is always a joy to conduct business with. She's warm and friendly and pretty much on top of things.

So I tell Sylvia my dilemma. I tell her I received a notice of a certified letter from her office that needed to be picked up by me from the post office but that I had been ill and today (Tues) was the last day to pick up that letter but there was no way I was going to make it back to the NE post office in time as they close at 5pm. And could I please check her records as to what was sent out to me via certified mail?

Of course, Sylvia was more than accomodating and pulled my file and the only thing she had on record sent out certified to me was ....................


the letter to me from her office stating I needed to fill out my financial disclosure papers for the appointment as full member of the CAC!!!!!

Remember- this letter had been sent in error as I did not need to fill out any paperwork as my info was still on file from last June.

The letter was sent out the end of March!!!!!!!!!!!!

( I did end up getting the 2 letters via regular mail that I spoke about in an earlier post regarding filling out these papers and then the one saying I had been removed for lack of such papers being filled out in the time frame, so I have to give it up to the city clerk's office for following up with the regular mail sent).

The frakalakkn post office 'misplaced' this very important letter and was JUST NOW trying to deliver it to me!!!

Isn't that a kicker?!!!

So not only did I get 'stewed' over by local government, I got a double-whammy from the federal government giving me their two-cents-worth, too!!!

....fade to some patriotic music of your choosing and a calming and assuring male voice reciting 'Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these courriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds...'


disclaimer- no disrespect was intended to any mail courrier, past or present, by the above motto. It was intended for whoever works inside the post office that lost my mail for 4 months!

2 comments:

  1. f y i, northeast post office was used in two occations by my wife, both bill payments never got there in time, over due charges, ofcourse, so she pays via telephone, more charges right, she canceles checks at bank,right more charge,but then both get checks and depossite them, guess what, checks bounced, more charges, DO NOT USE NE POST OFFICE

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've also stopped using banks altogether, figured I already bailed them out so I don't need any 'extra' charges for their 'great' customer service or to use a debit card etc. I'm perfectly happy cashing my check at Walmart- 2 a month- $6 p/month in fees- beats the banks and debit cards anyday! Just makes for a longer day paying bills in person, but makes for an outing and is worth the money I save.

    ReplyDelete