Tuesday, June 23, 2009

"Welcome to Walmart"




On-going problem, among many others, at the Walmart on Trans Mountain/Woodrow Bean in the NE.

Accessibility issues are important to people in wheelchairs, people using walkers and canes, mothers with baby strollers, even people with those collapsible grocery carts they use to go shopping. Let alone the everyday joe. We all have a stake in accessibility, but some don't think about it until inconvenienced themselves.

I have made several calls to this Walmart when there were too many carts in the way to access the Sun Metro bus stop safely and properly. Every single time no one ever came out to clear the carts, even after the manager on duty promised he'd get someone up there pronto. One time I even waited 40 minutes, with no results. It was left to me to move the carts so that us mass transit riders could board. So that us Walmart shoppers could board.

I've had to clear the carts on average, let's be conservative, oh 20x per/year for the last 5 years. Let's say those 100x I've cleared them I spent 10 minutes per job. At 5 years of employment I'd make about $10 an hour at Walmart, give or take 50 to 75 cents. So I figure Walmart owes me about $166.66 minus taxes.

I'll take it in a Kmart gift card, thank you very much.

Your customer service skills are lacking, Walmart, and I'm not feeling like a valued customer. I'm still waiting on the truly accessible pathway you promised us last year- you know, the one that goes from the sidewalk up by the road ALLLL the way to your crosswalk, the safe one that will go between the cars and will allow people in wheelchairs, walkers, baby strollers etc to be able to walk up and down like a 2-lane highway back up to the intersection to safely cross the street to the bus stop. You were kind enough to do the minimum when you re-built the ramp and cut curbs to go up to the bus stop up by the gas station; after some genius took them out and made us cut through the gas station to go to Walmart- taking our life into our hands with the crazy drivers going 20mph thru a gas station and on their cellphones.

Now can we get a cart caddy up by the bus stop to park the carts that your valued cutomers use? Too expensive? Well, I'd be happy to clear the carts for you every half-hour 5 days a week for only $12 an hour- remember, I have experience.

3 comments:

  1. "I'll take it in a Kmart gift card, thank you very much." and "$12/per hour remember I'm experienced"

    My two favorite lines in this post

    ReplyDelete
  2. This reminds me of what I used to see in California. Now the cities are passing ordinances that force stores to provide containment or to pay cart retrieval services to pick them up. $10 bucks a pop!

    http://www.cityofsandimas.com/pubdocs.cfm?task=detail&ID=2775

    http://www.cityofalhambra.org/government/Code_ShoppingCarts.html

    http://www.pe.com/localnews/publicsafety/stories/PE_News_Local_N_ncarts22.48c90ea.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool- I will check those sites out, thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete