Saturday, June 20, 2009

Father's Day

"Thank you, Father, for welcoming me back home."
"Sit down, son, I've been waiting a long time to see you, I've missed you."
The son sat down nervously at the table his father had prepared. On the table was every kind of food imaginable, every cool drink imaginable, everything he had ever liked- his father never forgot!
"Tell me son, about your life and travels."
His son coughed to clear his throat. He stared at the candles on the table. They were the kind that had that special glow, the kind you only find in churches, and he wondered where and how his Father came upon them.
"As you know, Father, I was lost for many years"
"Yes, son, tell me..."
The son sighed. He had come so far to speak to his Father and had rehearsed every line over and over in his head. Now that it was time to say his peace he could only swallow hard, cough and hold back the tears that wanted to escape. He sat there as the clock ticked, torn up inside, head bowed for what seemed like eternity.
Finally he blurted out "Father forgive me!!!"
His Father put his hands on his son's shoulders. He kept them there, and soon his son was able to continue. "Father. You gave me everything I needed in life and I turned my back on you. I turned my back on my family..." Then his son's unrehearsed story came flowing out like a river, in between sobs and sniffles and at times gut-wrenching guilt-ridden cries that only the mad can understand. Or a Father.
"Father, I had a family that loved me and worshipped the ground I walked on. For years I worked and came home and was welcomed home by them, just as you welcomed me now. I did love them, Father, I really did. I used to play with my children, taught my boy and his younger sister how to play ball, how to run and do high jump etc. The two younger ones were more into girly-stuff at that age but I still loved them. My eldest daughter wanted to be just like me. She wanted to go to Drake University and run the marathons and even go on to the Olympics. So I spent extra time with her, teaching her all I knew." The son laughed a little, thinking back in time when he would try and teach his daughter how to pole-vault, using the brick wall at the back of the house to bounce back from. She was all legs and elbows at that age and it was funny to watch her- but she kept on trying. "I even used to help my kids with their school work so that they could go on to college and live their dreams. My wife was right there helping, too. I had it all! GEEZ! I had it all.... but I got bored at times and had to sneak out and have some fun, relax with a few drinks and be with the guys, you know? Even used to drink with Father Dorney- remember him? Soon it bacame a routine, tho. But I managed. I maintained everything just enough so that everyone got a little of my time, of me. Then I messed up, Father- big time! I met another woman. She was young and fun and soon we started hanging out together at the bars after work and I wanted to just escape with her! She made me feel like a man, not just a husband or father or someone that had thousands of expectations thrust upon them. I left my wife and kids, Father. I was no longer the man I once was. I drowned out the pain by drinking, as I had done for years, but now it was different. Now one or two or three drinks wasn't enough. I had to have more. That was the real beginning of the end, Father. I did unspeakable things to my family."
The son was now in a contorted heap on the floor, having slowly slid off the chair as he was describing the details of his life. Crying and beating his hands across his body, the son cried until almost an hour later.
When the son finally was able to raise his head he saw his Father sitting next to him still. His Father said, "Son, I know. Continue, son, for the story must get better as you are here in my house right now."
"Yes, Father.... for years I struggled with the guilt of what I had done, met and married other women, talked to my two oldest children every few years but kept on drinking. The drinking turned me into a horrible person and I wasted so much of what everyone had given to me. But I knew I was still loved by my children, even though they were so angry at me, as was deserved. And THAT was the hard part, Father, I knew they still loved me. It racked me with guilt, so much so that I was too afraid and ashamed to keep a realtionship with them. I could never feel like a father again to them as I had when they were younger- they knew I was fallible and I felt less-than. How does a man rise above that, Father?"
"I'm here son, continue...."
"Then one day I was in the hospital with a blood infection after having surgery for a burst appendix and they called my son as they didn't know if I would make it. My son called his sister and she came and cleaned my house. I was thankful for their help. But I continued on with my same life after I got out. I went back to work, went back to drinking- my life was in a routine that I didn't want to change nor did I know how to change, even tho it made me sad alot. But it was hard, Father, standing guard outside at the steel mill. It was -30 degrees at times! I had to stand there for 12 hours and my wounds weren't healing from being in the hospital. So one day my daughter offered to have me come live with her. I was amazed! After all I had put her through! But I was scared, I wanted to continue the way my life was going and not answer to anyone. But soon I realized I HAD to take a break or I would never heal. So I moved in with my daughter and she cooked for me and didn't charge me anything to live there- she just wanted me to get better! A few months later I was ready to start working again and my daughter and I were moving to a place closer to work. My daughter took every penny she had for the deposit and I sold my old place and we moved. Then I denied her, Father, once again. I had $10 to my name for a few days until she got paid. We were struggling and all we had in the house to eat were a couple eggs and some bread- that was it, Father! She asked me if I could buy some food until she got paid and I told her I didn't have any money. But I did, Father, and I took that $10 and went out and bought a case of beer for myself. She didn't say anything, but her silence said everything.
Eventually I moved out, I didn't even tell her I was moving! I talked to her a couple more times since then and promised we'd get together, but I never showed. I couldn't, Father. I proved to everyone and myself that I was not worth it. Please forgive me daughter!"
The candles on the table were half-burnt by now. The daylight was slipping into shadow, but the glow from both still made the room feel as if it were daytime. The Father approached his son with his arms wide open. His Father asked, "Son, do you believe everything I have taught you? Do you believe I sent my only son I had to die for all your sins? Tell me, son, I have been waiting to hear the words."
"Yes" the son said with resignation. Immediately the son felt complete. He felt forgiven and loved like he had waited for all his life. Now he could be the man he always hoped to be. He took his last breath and was home to stay.


George Raymond Hartnett was found in his apartment dead of an apparent heart attack. He was alone and the coroner concluded he had been in that state for about a week. RIP Dad, I will always love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment