Friday, December 4, 2009

Noreen Jaramillo Leaving KFOX14

I watch all the news channels.

No one particular channel is my favorite.

When I was in Chicago channel 7 abc was one of my favorites, also channel 9 WGN, locally.

Here in El Paso I watch them all, especially abc7 and KFOX14, or whatever they're calling themselves now.

Along with my coffee, that is how I like to start my day, watching the morning news.

So it's been interesting to watch KFOX the past few years, especially how the anchors get along.

Noreen Jaramillo and Ben Swann were an interesting duo.

Noreen practically shined sitting next to Ben. There was a good chemistry, almost a flirtation going on, in a good-natured sense and the broadcast flowed smoothly with news and was entertaining at the same time.

Then Ben moved on and Noreen was left to report alone.

Enter Israel Balderas.

I liked Israel immediately.

He was as "square" as they come and seemed like a real gentleman and just cut from a different cloth.

Yeah, he had a few weeks (or more) of getting used to how the show was run, he kept going to weather when it was time for traffic or vice-versa- which annoyed Noreen Jaramillo to no end and she could barely hide her disgust.

In fact, it was so painful to watch at times I had to switch channels.

The two anchors just didn't click. I don't know if it was because Israel didn't flirt with Noreen or if it was because she didn't get his corny jokes or she was acting the prima dona and he was the greenhorn, I don't know.

All I do know is that Noreen's seat was higher than Israel's and she usually had the laptop in front of her, she let everyone know who the big dog was.

One time, many many months since Israel came on to Fox, I wrote him an email about some story reported and also made the observation of how he and Noreen worked together on air. Israel was kind enough to respond promptly, and in true Israel Balderas fashion, went on to write "let's just say it's been an interesting time for the past year and a half. I think St. Paul said it best when he wrote that perseverance produces character and character produces hope. So I hope people now like the character we have on the air."

I did like Israel.

I didn't like how Noreen treated him.

Then Israel left for other pastures and Noreen was left as sole anchor again.

Enter Stephanie Guadian.

I was wondering how Noreen was going to take sharing the spotlight, especially with another woman.

I was surprised they got on well.

Now we know why- Noreen Jaramillo is leaving KFOX.

Just my opinion- Noreen was no sweetheart of El Paso and she certainly couldn't hold a candle to Estela Casas, El Paso's matriarch.

So I wish her luck on her next venture and hope she learns to play nice (and professional).

And maybe for Christmas she'll get a button-down blouse and some new suitcoats, maybe a new hairstyle. She certainly could use some sprucing up besides wearing t-shirts and baggy shirt-jackets.

No comments:

Post a Comment